Once a year, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration shines a national spotlight on the importance of caring for every child’s mental health and reinforces that positive mental health is essential to a child’s healthy development. The 2019 theme for National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day is “Suicide Prevention: Strategies that Work.”
Learn about strategies that prevent suicide and join the conversation today!
- Stream SAMHSA’s Awareness Day event live today, May 6 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. ET.
- Use the hashtag #HeroesofHope when talking about your Awareness Day activities on social media.
- Access resources for suicide prevention.
Suicide Prevention Resources for Juvenile Justice Systems
These resources—which include reports, guidelines, and fact sheets—provide findings, recommendations, and practical tools for juvenile justice and mental health administrators and staff.
- Guide to Developing and Revising Suicide Prevention Protocols for Youth in Contact with the Juvenile Justice System
- Need to Know: A Fact Sheet Series on Juvenile Suicide for Juvenile Detention and Secure Care Staff
- Need to Know: A Fact Sheet Series on Juvenile Suicide for Juvenile Probation Staff
- Preventing Juvenile Suicide through Improved Collaboration: Strategies for Mental Health and Juvenile Justice (Summary)
- Preventing Suicide: Working with Youth Who are Justice Involved: Executive Summary
- Screening and Assessment for Suicide Prevention: Tools and Procedures for Risk Identification and Risk Reduction among Juvenile Justice Youth
- Suicidal Ideation and Behavior among Youth in the Juvenile Justice System: A Review of the Literature
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Child Mind Institute
- Family Run Executive Director Leadership Association
- National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Mental Health America
- National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center